November 02, 2011

FAQ


Since I get quite a few questions via different mediums (Tumblr, Formspring, Flickr, Blog comments) I thought I might compile a set of them and keep them altogether. There's a link I added down the right of the page for future reference.

__________________



(via Tumblr) Anonymous asked: 
Can I blog your photo(s)?

     I get this question a lot. I don't mind people blogging them as long as there is credit given and a link to my website/flickr!

(via formspring) Anonymous asked: 
what websites do you use? links?

     Tumblr: http://lymerence.tumblr.com 


(via formspring) Anonymous asked:
Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG and do you always use your 35mm or do you have more lenses? 

     I tend to shoot JPEG so there's less data to deal with - usually when I'm shooting self-portraits or just-for-fun photoshoots. When I am shooting a proper shoot (especially paid shoots) I will shoot RAW and bring along extra memory cards! The main thing is if you are doing any post-processing (or think you will) then I would recommend you shoot with RAW. You lose a little bit of quality each time you edit and save over a JPEG so shoot RAW to save quality. For the past year and a half I've only been shooting with my 35mm - simply because I don't feel like changing it. I'm quite comfortable with a prime lens and zoom lenses feel really odd in my hands now! I do own a 18-105mm though. It came with my D7000.

(via blog) 'daniele martinie fan' said... 
Im going to take photos for my school magazine (probably next week). I have always wanted to this and finally my dream has come true. This is first time im doing it & I’m very excited. But im nervous as well. Its all about portraits & nature. So i am hoping to get your suggestions/tips about how do you take yours


     That's great! It's all about practice and finding your style and your 'feel'.
     For portraits, I suggest you take photos of anyone and everyone to practice getting the right angles, lighting, poses etc. Lighting is really important. When you look at people in general you won't notice things like shadows and angles, because our visual system ignores that information. The camera picks all of this up so you have to train yourself to notice the little details (it can make all the difference!)
     For nature, I guess I tend to look for patterns. Plants tend to follow perfect mathematical rules of symmetry that can be very striking in a photograph. Again lighting is always important and can be used to your advantage. For example, try looking out for patterns of shadows cast by trees.

(via formspring) Anonymous asked: 
Do you know any good free Lightroom presets?

     I use presets of my own, and mostly tweak it after applying them. Each individual shot would be differently exposed etc. so it's not always helpful using a preset! You can download some of the ones I use here: http://www.danielemartinie.com/downloads.html 
     Otherwise, maybe peruse some photography blogs for presets that other photographers have recommended/uploaded.

(via formspring) Anonymous asked:
Would ou recommend a 35mm prime lens for fulll body portraits? 

     It depends where you're shooting and how close you can get to the subject. Anything wider than a 35mm will make your subject look distorted (like exaggerating their nose or other features) particularly if you're standing close to them. I would probably go for a 50mm or 85mm prime, or a zoom within those ranges. That gives you the flexibility of positioning yourself according to your surroundings i.e. studio vs. field.


__________________

If you also have a photography-related question, ask me here and I'll be happy to answer it!

2 comments:

Dear Danièle,